Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The "Talk"

When I was 5 years old I got "the talk." I asked my mom why a lady in our ward was pregnant when she was not married. In turn, my mom told me all about the birds and the bees. At 5 I didn't listen very well, but what I did hear traumatized me for life. After awhile I think I fell asleep so I wouldn't have to hear anymore! Now, I have made fun of my mom for this ever since. Teased and tormented her to the point where now she denies it ever happening.

This past week Tan and I were watching some quality TV together (Spongebob), and he turned to me and asked me where he came from. I swallowed hard and said "heaven." He looked at me and said, "No mom, I mean where did I come from?" My mouth was starting to get very dry and I said, "My belly." He rolled his eyes and said, "NO! I mean WHERE did I come from?" Oh crap! Chad and I had a deal that he would talk to the boys about this, and I would get to talk to the girls. And now Chad isn't even here!! So I took a deep breath and said, "Tan when two people love each other...." Tan immediately stopped me and said, "Mom, what STATE did I come from?" I told him Utah and he asked, "So I was born in Utah and now live in Utah?" Yup. He said ok and walked away.

PHEW! That was close. And now I know what my mom felt like. When your child is asking you a question you feel like you need to tell them the truth. So mom, I will never make fun of you for this again. I have plenty more to make fun of you for!

5 comments:

We Are A Happy Family said...

I dread the talk. So far we have gotten away with lucky things. but that could change any minute now.

Angie said...

Haha that is funny! Good luck with that!

Koreena said...

Funny! Matty asked those questions recently. I answered with heaven and he said, "But how do babies get from heaven to a mommy's tummy?" I paused and frantically said, "Matty, we're really late! We need to go!" Being in a hurry got me out of it...for now.

MJ said...

I can barely type this because I'm laughing so hard! We have had the talk with both of our kiddos and Brady froze up both times. I kept things as simple as possible while I watched Brady turning different shades of red and purple. My advice,the next time one of them asks you that, tell them to ask their dad when he gets home and then high tail it out of there!

Scott Fam Dam said...

I am crying with laughter. That is stinkin' hilarious! I love it! Makes me wonder how often I give my children unwanted advice.