Friday, November 27, 2009

The Case of the Black Tongue

Have you ever woke up and felt odd in some way? Maybe felt a little bit different? This happened to me the day after Thanksgiving. I woke up early because me and my sister were going to go shopping. I went to brush my teeth and took my toothbrush out of my mouth. And the whole thing was black!!!!

Well this freaked me out (just a little) and I thought maybe I was seeing things because I was so tired. So I opened my mouth and my entire tongue was black. Not my teeth, just my tongue. I brushed and brushed and after three times it finally came off. I was panicked at this point thinking that because I turned 30 my whole body was now going to do strange things. Like turn odd parts of my body black. So I called Chad at work and he so nicely told me that I must have squished a spider in the middle of the night and swallowed the remainder of it. That made me feel so much better to think that I am eating bugs at night, and bugs that turn my tongue black no less.

So I was shopping with my sister and her husband and asked them. My brother in law said that there was no way that a spider would do that and he thinks I have something medically wrong with me. Comfort number two!!! Not only do I eat bugs, but now I have a medical condition that is going to start turning things black at random. Turning 30 is getting more and more awesome!!!

So I come home and tell my parents who get a worried look on their face and tell me, "Well that's not normal!" Thanks guys, I know it's not normal thats why I'm asking. So my mother tells me that I need to hurry and google "waking up with a black tongue." So I do. And three sites tell me that if you take Pepto Bismol before you go to bed that is can cause your tongue to turn black. And then I remembered that because I am now 30 I had a stomach ache the night before and took some pepto before I went to bed. CASE SOLVED!!!

The more I thought about it, I thought that Pepto should put a warning on the box. So I ran to look at the box and there it is. May cause tongue to go black. So let this be a lesson to you: Don't take Pepto and read warnings before you take something. It could cause a lot of damage not only to your tongue, but to your heart from all the stress of thinking you are going to die if you don't.

9 comments:

Ashley and Ryan said...

Oh man I was reading that so stressed!!! I was freaking out that at the end you were going to really tell us that you really were sick!!! GOSH!! Dont scare me like that!!!! Phew! I am glad it was nothing serious. Now with that out of the way!! THAT is freaking funny!!! Good to know though! I would have NEVER thought that!!!!

Earl & Girls said...

Awesome. I love reading your blog. Your stories make my day. I'm glad you figured out what happened. And thanks for the update on being 30, as it will be me in a few months.

The Serna Family said...

GREAT Story!! You always tell the best stories. You should write a book!
I had never heard of that either and I probably would have gone to the ER thinking my tongue had died and was going to fall off! I'm glad you didn't panic as much as I would have!

Koreena said...

Weird! I've never heard of that before! I would have definitely freaked out. Glad you were able to solve the case!

Jen said...

I knew from the title that it was pepto...married to a pharmacist, but it was funny to read!

We Are A Happy Family said...

I knew I hated pepto for a reason.

MJ said...

Shell, you are hilarious! I love to read your blog. You have such an entertaining outlook on life! Now I have that Pepto song in my head :)

Scott Fam Dam said...

That is hilarious! Leave it to our family to freak you out even more than you already are! I love google, I recommend using it after talking to mom at all times.

Natalie said...

I don't know why I didn't read this before. But this was SO FUNNY!!! Thanks for the tip. :) And, I have to agree with you, turning 30 has not been fun at all so far.