Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Me + Math= Failure

As some of you may know me and math do not get along. I hate math so much that I have tried to come up with degrees that I could get that wouldn't make me take any more math than I already have. In fact, in college Chad would try and help me with my math homework and I would end up yelling at him because he understood it and I didn't. I'm not proud of the fact that I don't understand it. I have just come to accept that math is what I hate more than anything in this life.

Well, yesterday actually made me feel worse about my whole math situation. Pk came home with some homework that he had to get done for the week. We started looking through it and we came to the math pages. I started skimming through it and realized something: I did not understand SECOND grade math!! I was so confused on the first page. And these are problems about drawing the set of apples that come next in a sequence. So, I tried to come up with the number of apples that was going to come next and guess what? Couldn't figure the dumb crap out. Every answer I came up with was wrong.

Now, I was doing this in my head because I didn't want Pk to see that I was having trouble. But then I started to sweat a little thinking that Pk was going to fail math all because of me! Then something incredibly embarrassing happened. He took the packet out of my hand, looked over the problems and said, "oh this is easy!" HUH?? They are? He wanted to work on them right then, but I had to stall him. What if he had a question about an answer he got? So I told him that I really didn't have time right then to help him, so we should wait until his dad got home. He was really excited because he usually has to do his homework when he gets home and I was actually telling him to wait.

Looks like Chad will once again have to tutor me in math. With it being second grade I might not get so angry this time. (Or I might be worse because it's second grade). Either way it is going to be a very long year for me. Good thing I married an accountant!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Michelle, I'm the same boat as you. But I have trouble with spelling and many other areas as well. It does stink when your child knows more.

Ashley and Ryan said...

Haha!! Thats funny yet sad cuz I am at the same way!! In fact today I had a rootbeer float with our neighbors and I was trying to tell them how much Ice cream verses rootbeer I like and my smart self said "I like mine way more ice cream, like 90/20"........?!!! Luckily for me my neighbor is funny and she said well it's nice to know some one around here gives 110% Bwahaha!!!! But I am in big big trouble when Boston need help with his homework one day!! And same here, luckily I too will be married to an accountant!!!

Scott Fam Dam said...

K, seriously Shell, you are hilarious. I would have loved to have been there. Can you scan and send the problem for me? I would love to actually see what you didn't understand!